Have you ever been confused about what all the secret underground CrossFit lingo means? We know it can sometimes take a while to learn all the symbols and acronyms we use here at CFI (CrossFit Impulse), so we decided to compile a quick reference guide.
1) AMRAP: As Many Rounds (or Reps) as Possible
2) BS: Back Squat
3) BW: Body Weight
4) CFI: CrossFit Impulse
5) CFIBS: CrossFit Irritable Bowel Syndrome
6) CFT: CrossFit Total
7) CF: CrossFit
8) CFHQ: CrossFit Headquarters
9) C&J: Clean and Jerk
10) C2: Concept II Rower
11) DL: Deadlift
12) DNF: Did Not Finish
13) EMOM: Every Minute on the Minute
14) FS: Front Squat
15) GHD: Glute Hamstring Developer
16) GPP: General Physical Preparedness
17) HC: Hang Clean
18) HSPU: Hand Stand Push-up
19) HSC: Hang Squat Clean
20) KBS: Kettlebell Swings
21) KTE or K2E: Knees to Elbows
22) MetCon: Metabolic Conditioning
23) MU: Muscle Up
24) OHS: Overhead Squat
25) PC: Power Clean
26) Pd: Pood, Russian unit of measure for the weight of Kettlebells. (1 pood = 36.11 pounds)
27) PR: Personal Record
28) PP: Push Press
29) PJ: Push Jerk
30) PU: Pull-ups or Push-ups, depending on context
31) PVC: Polyvinyl Chloride Pipe. White plastic pipes used for training, warmup, etc.
32) Rep: Repetition. One performance of a movement.
33) Rx’d: As prescribed; as written. WOD done without any scaling, movement, or rep alterations.
34) RM: Rep Max or Repetition Maximum. Your 1RM is your max lift for one rep. Your 10 RM is the most you can lift 10 times.
35) SC: Squat Clean
36) SDHP: Sumo Deadlift High Pull
37) Set: A group of repetitions performed sequentially. e.g. 3 sets of 10 reps, often seen as 3×10, means perform 10 reps, rest, 10 reps, rest, and then 10 final reps.
38) SN: Snatch
39) SQ: Squat
40) Scale: Any deviation from the prescribed movements or loads. For example, Gold, Silver, and Bronze are some suggested scales for the movements in the prescribed workout.
41) Tabata Interval: A workout of 8 intervals alternating 20 seconds of max rep work with 10 seconds of rest. Score is the lowest reps accumulated in any round.
42) The “Girls”: A series of benchmark workouts created by CFHQ that are universally known among the CF community. Usually named after the original female CrossFitters.
43) The “Heroes”: A Hero workout is a tribute workout in honor of a fallen service member (Soldier, Sailor, Airman, Marine, Firefighter, Police officer) that died in the line of duty.
44) TTB or T2B: Toes to Bar
45) WOD: Workout of the Day
46) # : Symbol for Pounds (lb)
47) ” : Symbol for Inches (in)